Advertisement
Search Sponsored by:
Monday, July 28, 2014
Speculator, NY ,
Advertisement

The way things were by Anne Weaver

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 - Updated: 8:17 AM

ABOUT THE WEEK OF FEB. 13, 1964, New York’s once extinct wild turkey population was now estimated at nearly 3,500 birds.

At HAMILTON COUNTY, all members were present at the monthly meeting of the Hamilton County Board of Supervisors in the Court House. An offer of $200 for two lots in Morehouse, acquired through the tax sale, was accepted.

The Board appointed John S. Kathan as county superintendent of highways for a term of four years. The Board of Elections was authorized to attend a meeting in Albany.

Proceedings were interrupted by a telephone call announcing that Gov. Nelson Rockefeller had appointed Arthur Parker as sheriff of Hamilton County, succeeding Merritt B. Lamos, deceased. Parker immediately resigned as chairman of the board, a post he had held for several years. He had served as supervisor of the Town of Long Lake for 19 years.

The board accepted Parker’s resignation with regret, and unanimously appointed John Heffernan of Wells as chairman. He had held the post previously. He was escorted to the chair by William Baker, Arietta, and Charles Wickes, Lake Pleasant.

Four bids were received for the printing of “The History of Hamilton County.” It was decided to request the four bidders to appear before the board to clarify details of the specifications.

The board recorded its opposition to the Parks Commission’s proposal for zoning and to the proposed extension of the Party Permit System by the state Conservation Department. All members and County Attorney Charles S. Tracy were authorized to attend a hearing to be conducted by the Water Resources Commission in Lake George.

At INDIAN LAKE, John P. Hunt, yeoman second class, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roy S. Hunt of Indian Lake, was serving aboard the ballistic submarine USS Casimer Pulaski, which was launched Feb. 1 at Groton, Conn.

Pulaski, the 28th ballistic submarine to be launched, was of the advanced Lafayette class and equipped to fire A3 Polaris missiles. Pulaski is named in honor of the Revolutionary War hero, General Casimir Pulaski.

At INLET, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Inlet Hose Company met with 11 members present. Mrs. Colonton and Mrs. Fisher served coffee and cake. The Christmas decorations were not judged on account of illness in the group. Plans were made to have a Leap Year Spaghetti Supper in the fire hall for the public. The next meeting would be with Mrs. Tyler and Mrs. Clark as hostesses.

Mrs. Elizabeth Thibado Patrick of Inlet, widow of William Patrick, died Feb. 10, 1964 in St. Elizabeth Hospital, Utica. She was born at Indian Lake, daughter of Napoleon and Elizabeth Severie Thibado.

She was married to Mr. Patrick at Indian Lake. They came to Inlet more than 40 years ago. He died in 1955. Mrs. Patrick was a member of St. Anthony’s Church and its Altar Society.

She left two sons, Arthur Patrick, Jeffersonville, Ind. and Bernard Patrick, Inlet; a sister, Mrs. Esther Porter, Inlet; and a brother, Napoleon Thibado, Indian Lake. The funeral was from the Eldridge-Autenrith Funeral Home in Old Forge and St. Anthony’s Church, Inlet, with Pastor Francis Edie officiating. Burial was in Riverview Cemetery, Old Forge.

Among orders recently issued by William S. Hults, chairman of the New York State Traffic Commission, was: “Inlet: Prohibited parking on South Shore Road, County Road No. 1 1900 plus or minus feet on the north side and 900 plus or minus feet on the south side.”

The regular monthly meeting of the Leonard Mick Roberts Unit 1402 was held at the home of Mrs. Antoinette Baerman. The unit voted to donate to the March of Dimes and to the Heart Fund. After the meeting a surprise Stork Shower was held for Mrs. Joyce LaPorte. A luncheon followed and a cake depicting the occasion was presented to Mrs. LaPorte. The March meeting would be at the home of Mrs. Margaret Payne.

The Polar Bear Ski Club in Old Forge had made arrangements for the USEASA Junior Nordic Championships for boys to be held at Maple Ridge in February, providing a chance to see some top-notch junior jumpers and cross-country racers.

At RAQUETTE LAKE, contributions to the Orrin Lanphear Memorial Fund could be made to the Raquette Lake Chapel and sent to Mrs. Helen Bird, Raquette Lake. Mr. Lanphear was a lifelong resident of this Adirondack area and beloved by all who knew him. He passed away Jan. 30, 1964 at Albany Medical Center.

AT BEAVER RIVER, nearby in Herkimer County, Clinton R. Thompson, 66, operator of the Norridgewock Hotel, Beaver River Station, for more than 40 years and former postmaster of the village, died Feb. 7, 1964 in his home there. Mr. Thompson was talking to his daughter-in-law when he was stricken.

Dr. Robert N. Lindsay, Old Forge, was called. He said death was due to a coronary attack. Mr. Thompson had been active for many years in promoting the Central Adirondacks area.

He waged a successful battle for relocation of Route 28 between McKeever and Thendara and for the past several years spearheaded the fight to have a road constructed between Route 28 and Beaver River.

He was president of the Beaver River Flow Fish and Game Club for more than 20 years. He was born in Sperryville. He married Jennie Shaw in 1920. They came to Beaver River in 1922.

Besides his wife he left a son, Stanley, Beaver River Station; and two daughters, Mrs. Lucille Crowell, Stillwater, and Mrs. Marian Brown, Milford, Conn. The funeral was from the Virkler Funeral Home, Lowville. Burial would be in Beeches Bridge Cemetery in the spring.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © Port Jackson Media, LLC.

Privacy Policies: Hamilton County Express

Contact Us