IL firemen save house



INDIAN LAKE -- Beverly Lanphear's house on Chamberlain Road can be repaired, but is not habitable until then.

What started as a chimney fire Friday, Jan. 3, turned into a structure fire, according to Indian Lake Volunteer Fire Department Assistant Chief Jay Griffin. The firemen were dispatched at 7:44 a.m. after Lanphear called it in to Hamilton County Dispatch in Lake Pleasant.

"It was a good knock-down," Griffin said. "It was basically confined to one room, with smoke and water damage to two other rooms."

Griffin said Lanphear is a strong woman. "She tried to put it out with a couple glasses of water, then when we pulled up she was shoveling the walk because she was concerned someone would slip."

Although it started as a chimney fire, Griffin said, the first fireman on scene called it in as a structure fire. Griffin was the first officer on scene.

"Smoke was rolling out the front door and the attic" when the firemen arrived, he said. No one was injured, and the home was insured, he added.

"It was an excellent, quick knock-down. Everyone did an excellent job, especially when it was 14 below zero," Griffin said.

ILVFD was on scene while Speculator VFD stood by at the Indian Lake Firehouse and Blue Mt. Lake VFD was on stand-by at its station.

Lanphear is currently living with her daughter and son-in-law, Susan and Phillip "Bub" Eldridge.