Sale of 1964 plates had increased sharply the last few days as the deadlines neared. Approximately one-third of the state’s motorists had obtained plates already with a big rush expected during the next three weeks.
Motor Vehicles Commissioner William S. Hults said the year’s renewal was progressing more smoothly than usual, even though motorists were required to submit additional documents.
On the SKIING FRONT, Snow Ridge, a popular Adirondack ski center at Turin, would have 25 certified instructors on its ski school staff for the winter. Eight of the instructors who wore the golden ski school parka would be on full-time duty and 18 more certified instructors would be available on weekends.
The school was headed by Rudi Kuersteiner, who was starting his 10th season at Snow Ridge. Under his guidance the school had become one of the largest and was widely known for the excellence of its instruction.
Snow Ridge was one of several ski centers welcoming skiers to the western Adirondack area in 1964. One of the most rapidly growing centers in New York state was Dry Hill, which was beginning its third season at Watertown.
Dry Hill had two slopes, two trails, a T-bar and two tows that operated Wednesdays through Sundays. There was night skiing and, new for the 1963-1964 season, a base lodge with snack bar, lounge, ski shop and sun deck.
Old Forge, one of the pioneer ski resorts, would have two centers in daily operation. Maple Ridge, just off Main Street in the heart of the village, was an open slope with a T-bar that operated afternoons. Snowmaking equipment kept the running surface in top-notch condition.
At the approach to the village is Old Forge’s mountain center at Mount McCauley. There were beginner and novice slopes but the emphasis was on trails. Several were rated as expert and one was nearly a mile long.
At INLET, the American Legion, Post 1402, Inlet, was sponsoring a Bowling Party for Couples Jan. 26. The event was open to everyone. Anyone interested could contact Robert Egenhofer or Peter Kalil for details.
The lone resident of an Adirondack “ghost town” lay near death in Memorial Hospital this week, after suffering a heart attack in his remote home in the hamlet of Carter, Town of Webb, Friday, Jan. 10. He was Emory Compo, 74, who resided alone in a cottage about 500 feet from Rondaxe Road, roughly 10 miles north of Old Forge.
Robert Pashley of Old Forge, who visited the isolated cabin every couple of weeks to take meat and groceries to Mr. Compo, found the elderly man unconscious. A fire still was burning briskly in the stove, indicating the man had been stricken not long before he was found.
A toboggan, a truck and finally the Old Forge ambulance were used to take Mr. Compo to the Herkimer hospital. His condition was described as “poor.” Few of the present generation ever heard of Carter, and even fewer ever visited the place.
When the railroads were the principal source of transportation for travelers going into the Adirondacks Carter was a key junction, and had several hundred residents. It was a transfer point for passengers from the New York Central’s Malone branch to the narrow gauge Raquette Lake line.
With the advent of automobiles and the decline of rail passenger service, the need for the hamlet of Carter ceased to exist and its population moved elsewhere. Emory Compo was its last resident.
At LAKE PLEASANT, the Rev. Benedict Scarff, 74, pastor of St. James Roman Catholic Church, Lake Pleasant, died Tuesday, Jan. 14, in St. Elizabeth Hospital. He had suffered a heart attack at Lake Pleasant.
Father Benedict was born in Dublin, Ireland, and received his early education there. In 1904 he came to Trenton, N.J. He entered the Franciscan Order in Trenton in 1907. Father Benedict pronounced his vows in 1911.
He was then sent to the Imperial University in Innsbruck, Austria. He was ordained there in 1915. Before going to Austria, Father Benedict had studied at St. Anthony’s Seminary, Rensselaer.
After he returned to America he taught at St. Anthony’s. Later, he was sent to Wyoming and Terra Haute, Ind. He served in parishes in Trenton and Hoboken. N.J., and was pastor of a church in Hoboken.
In 1928, he went to Utica as an assistant pastor at St. Joseph’s Church and from there to Our Lady of the Angels in Albany. He was pastor at St. Francis Church in Northville, where he served for 16 years; and was pastor for nine years at St. Anthony’s Church in Inlet. For the past three years he had been pastor at Lake Pleasant.
For the past 24 years Father Benedict had been state chaplain of the state Grand Ladies Auxiliary of the Knights of St. John. He was a member of the Knights of St. John in Utica. He left several nephews, including a nephew, Friar Benedict Fitzpatrick, who was studying for the priesthood in St. Hyacinth Seminary, Grandy, Mass.
At LONG LAKE, John C. Dewyea, 17, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Dewyea, Long Lake, had begun basic training at the Naval Training Center, Great Lakes. The nine-week training included Navy orientation, history and organization; seamanship; ordnance and gunnery; military drill; first aid; and survival.