Pohls donate 12 acres to town


Express News Staff

LONG LAKE -- Councilman Dean Pohl and his wife Donna have donated 12 acres of their property on the Marion River Carry to the Town of Long Lake.

The donation was made public at the Wednesday, Feb. 26, meeting of the Long Lake Town Board.

Supervisor Clark Seaman made the announcement. He said once the town has the deed it would donate the land to the State of New York for inclusion in the Adirondack Forest Preserve.

By turning the 12 acres over to the state, Long Lake will fulfill the obligation it incurred when voters approved an amendment to the NYS Constitution in November 2007.

The amendment allowed the state to convey one acre of forest preserve land to the town for public use as the site of drinking water wells and related equipment for the municipal water supply for the hamlet of Raquette Lake. In exchange, the state would receive at least 12 acres of land that is at least equal in value to the land conveyed to the town.

The amendment made constitutional an action that had already taken place. In 2004, the state Department of Environmental Conservation gave the town permission to drill wells the site.

Over the years since the amendment was approved the town has made several offers of land it owns to the state, without success. The state has always claimed what was offered was not of equal or greater value.

"This time they were thrilled and happy to accept," Seaman said. "We owe the Pohls a debt of gratitude."

Pohl was not at the meeting because he is recovering from an operation.


After some discussion the board voted to go forward with updating the job descriptions of four employees to make them conform to Civil Service titles. This will require the employees to take and pass Civil Service exams to retain their positions.

Councilman Richard Dechene voted nay, saying these are good and qualified people who know how to do their jobs and they shouldn't be subject to testing for what they know how to do.

Seaman agreed in spirit, but said that since the discrepancy has been found the town is obligated to comply with Civil Service rules.


-- A $33,075 check has been received from the New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for snowmobile trail maintenance reimbursement. This represents 70 percent of this year's funding; the remaining 30 percent will be allocated in the fall. Funding is derived from snowmobile registration fees.

-- The low bid of $12,500 from Gallup Concrete LLC, Warrensburg, was accepted to repair the retaining wall at the Vietnam Memorial.

-- The board accepted the low bid of $63,800 for two Chevrolet pickup trucks from West Herr Chevrolet, Hamburg.

-- Erin Barton has resigned from her position as events coordinator.

-- The board will hold a public hearing March 26 concerning a possible franchise agreement for cable TV service with Slic Network Solutions, Nicholville. Copies of the agreement are available at the Town Offices.

The Long Lake Town Board will next meet Wednesday, March 26, starting at 7:30 p.m. in Long Lake Town Hall.