Reproductive rates of the deer examined in February showed the reproductive capacity of these animals had jumped nearly 50 percent since the department's last research collection in 1947. "Although the physical condition of the deer is good, they are beginning to feed on less desirable plant foods and are severely damaging the most favorable browse in the area," he said.
The Moose River Plains, 700 acres of rolling open land in central Hamilton County, was the approximate center of a deer wintering area. It was considered one of the most important study areas on the biology of the whitetail deer in the nation.
Informal studies of starvation losses had been recorded since 1889, and Conservation Department projects had been conducted there since the early 1930s. Information gathered over the past 30 years had been applied to the management of the entire Adirondack deer population.
Dr. Lawrence explained that commercial lumbering on private land and forest blowdowns on private and state-owned lands in the 1960s opened the protective cover and cleared the way for new plant growth. As deer moved to other areas, plant life was able to recover from previous overbrowsing.
Beginning in 1960, the department observed large numbers of deer returning to the Plains and results of the recent studies showed that not only had the population increased, but that the deer wintering there had a marked increase in their reproductive rate.
Just prior to the blowdowns in the 1950s, Moose River does were averaging one fawn per year. Examination of the females sampled in February showed that every other doe was producing twins, a 50 percent increase in their reproductive rate. It was evident to the department game research technicians that if the present trend continued the deer would outnumber available food supplies and the area would revert to a chronic starvation area.
Department game take records indicated that relatively few deer were reported killed in the Moose River plains during the October to December deer season.
Brook trout season opened in New York state on Wednesday of this week, but true to Adirondack tradition the trout hadn't a thing to worry about. It would take a blowtorch and an ice pick to get them out of local lakes and streams, and that is probably illegal.
Lakes, ponds, streams and everything else were still "froze up" in the Adirondacks and, with a normal break in the weather, it would probably be mid-April or later before decent fishing conditions prevailed in the mountains. The season ended the last week of September.
Arthur L. Bensen, past president of the Adirondack Park Association and last year's outspoken opponent of the Adirondack Park Commission Bill, which died in the Legislature, had announced that in spite of its recent revision he was still firmly opposed to this measure, which had just been re-introduced into the Legislature by Sen. Eustice Paine.
At HAMILTON COUNTY, according to a recent report by the Southern Adirondack Library System, Hamilton County led the list of total number of books borrowed from the Bookmobile with 39,273. Then came Saratoga, 38,788; Warren, 32,035; and Washington, 17,753.
At INLET, Harold R. German of Maplewood, N.J., a retired vice president of the Lehigh Valley Railroad, died March 4, 1964, at his home. He was 75. Mr. German was well known in the Old Forge / Inlet area, where he and Mrs. German had made their summer home for many years at West Windows on the South Shore of 4th Lake.
Mr. German began his career in 1907 as a clerk in the coal department of the Lackawanna Railroad and a few months later became secretary to E.E. Loomis, vice president. He went to the Lehigh Valley in the same capacity when Loomis joined that line in 1917.
In 1918 Mr. German was promoted to assistant secretary of the Lehigh Valley and in 1935 became secretary / treasurer. Ten years later he was elected vice president with charge of finance and accounting. He retired in 1950.
He was an elder and trustee of Prospect Presbyterian Church, Maplewood and a member of the Summit Old Guard. Mr. German left his wife, Mrs. Evangeline Dalrymple German; a daughter, Mrs. E. Harris Harbison of Princeton; a son, Edward L. of Madison; a brother, J. Bradbury German of Utica, N.Y.; and five grandchildren.
Association I, which included the Old Forge, Inlet, Eagle Bay, McKeever and Otter Lake area of the Foothills Girl Scout Council, would hold its first semi-annual meeting April 8 in the Remsen Central School auditorium. A slate of voting delegates and alternates to the semi-annual council meetings held in May and November would be submitted and voted on at the association meeting.
Mrs. Joseph T. Smith of Boonville was in charge of arrangements for the meeting, which was open to all registered adult volunteers in the three service units of this area. The theme for the program was "Girl Scouting fun, learning, adventure."
A film introduced at the 1963 National Council Meeting, "A World Is Her Book," would be shown. The movie illustrates how one of the foundation elements of the new program permeates and enriches the activities of all four age levels.
The members of the association would divide into Brownie, Junior and Cadette Buz Groups to discuss and report on troop program possibilities.
Assisting with the arrangements and discussion groups were Mrs. Lucille Hart, Holland Patent, chairman of Service Unit 3; Mrs. Morgan Roderick, Raquette Lake, chairman of Service Unit 2, Junior Troop 552 of Old Forge; Mrs. George Folsom, leader of Cadette Troop 323 of Remsen; and Mrs. Shirley Anderson, leader.
At WELLS, Freeman E. Stuart, chief boatswain's mate, U.S. Coast Guard, son of Mrs. Virginia Stuart of Wells, was serving as officer-in-charge of the Cape Vincent Light Attendant Station, Cape Vincent. Before entering the service in 1948 he attended Wells High School.