The Way Things Were
By Anne Weaver

ABOUT THE WEEK OF MAY 1, 1964, William L. Wessel's latest book was "Moses Cohen, Peddler to Capitalist." The subtitle, "An Adirondack Pioneer Merchant," is exactly what Moses Cohen was. Drawing on his vast knowledge of the history of the Adirondacks and his long personal friendship with Mr. Cohen, the author draws his picture with a sure stroke.

He tells the life of Mr. Cohen, and in so doing also tells us Moses Cohen was a human being and a gentleman. Since other greats and near-greats were helping to develop the Adirondacks during Mr. Cohen's life time, we get a generous supply of vignettes of those others; the Ginsbergs, the Edelbergs, the Browns, the Herreshoffs, the Fosters, the Stoners, the Arnolds, the DeCamps, the Morgans and many more.

"This is a story of a penniless boy from Russia who became an American capitalist in the Adirondacks... We pay tribute to this gentleman of the Jewish faith who carved a niche in the Adirondack Wilderness, a benefactor to many people, who accumulated a sizeable fortune by his untiring efforts."

A five-point program, which had been forwarded to the state Conservation Commission, was approved by more than 200 members of the White Deer Association at a meeting in Poland Central School. Several sportsmen and town officials from the Central Adirondacks attended to back the program and offer their assistance.

The program included: 1.) That the party permit system to take does and fawns be abolished. 2.) That the big game season not be opened prior to Oct. 23 for deer with horns not less than three inches, and not be closed later than Dec. 1. 3.) That the Conservation Department biologists not be permitted to conduct any biological experiments with white tail deer or other big game without consulting the boards of supervisors of each county in the Adirondack Park and also the various sportsmen's units. 4.) That a law enforcement section be established in the Conservation Department, as a separate unit. 5.) That a program for feeding deer during the winter months be approved. LeRoy Bellair of Morehouseville, presiding.

At HAMILTON COUNTY, Gov. Nelson Rockefeller announced April 25 his appointment of Arthur Everett Parker, Long Lake, as sheriff of Hamilton County. Mr. Parker would fill the vacancy created by the death of former Sheriff Merritt B. Lamos.

A native of Long Lake, Mr. Parker was formerly chairman of the Hamilton County Board of Supervisors. He had also served as supervisor of the Town of Long Lake since 1946. Prior thereto, he served five years as town clerk.

Mr. Parker resided with his wife, the former Loretta Frances Sullivan, at Long Lake. They had three children, Margaret, Janet and Douglas. Another son, Maurice, who was serving in the U.S. Navy at the time, was killed in an auto accident.

In his letter to Mr. Parker, the governor said: "I am indeed pleased that you have agreed to accept the appointment as Sheriff of Hamilton County. Your character, experience, and ability make you particularly well qualified for this important office."

"The people of New York State are fortunate in being able to call upon public-spirited citizens such as yourself to undertake this important law enforcement responsibility. It is my sincere hope that this new office will prove of great interest to you and I have every confidence that your service will be of benefit to the people of our state."

At INDIAN LAKE, in an evening play-off match between Indian Lake and Bemis Electronics, Indian Lake walked away with the championship by defeating Bemis 2912 to 2802. Jim Joy of the losing team was high man for the evening with 557, followed by George Bemis with 526. High man on the Indian Lake team was James Curry with 506 while F. Turner had 499. Joy also had the high single game score of 194.

At INLET, State Superintendent of Public Works J. Burch McMorran had announced receipt of a low bid of $287,779.50 from S.A. Scullen Co., Waterford, for resurfacing Route 28 from 1.13 miles west of the Arietta-Indian Lake town line, east of Raquette Lake, northeasterly 8.64 miles to Rt. 0 at Blue Mountain Lake. Two bids were received. The 18- to 27-foot wide pavement would be resurfaced with asphalt concrete.

According to State Trooper W.F. Cheesbro, Old Forge substation, vandals and burglars were busy during the winter months looting camps in the Fulton Chain area and destroying private property. The previous weekend brought fair weather and an influx of camp owners who were able to get into many of the camps for the first time this season.

Trooper Chesebro reported he had received more than a half-dozen complaints from owners who reported camps had been ransacked and miscellaneous items stolen. He stated the burglaries appeared to be the work of teenagers looking for rifles and camping equipment.

Chesebro urged camp owners to have someone make periodic checks of their property and to report burglaries and vandalism immediately upon discovery. He also asked other camp owners to be on the lookout for unusual activity around vacant camps.

At LAKE PLEASANT, Hanson A. Slack, yeoman first class, U.S. Navy, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alvah H. Slack of Lake Pleasant, was serving aboard the high-speed submarine USS Albacore, presently undergoing overhaul at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard.

The overhaul included the installation of equipment designed to increase her versatility and mobility. Her fished-shaped hull had been so successful that it had been incorporated into the construction of nuclear submarines. Albacore was the first submarine to employ high-speed submerged control techniques and instrumentation.

At LONG LAKE, Navy Lieutenant Edmund R. Clement, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edmund J. Clement of Long Lake, was serving aboard the destroyer tender USS Everglades, operating with the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. Everglades arrived in Naples, Italy to relieve the destroyer tender USS Tidewater and assume the duties as the tender of the 6th Fleet. Everglades made repairs and supplied replacement parts to destroyers not requiring major shipyard work.