SPECULATOR - Speculator Volunteer Ambulance Corps responded to its first call April 27, 1970, 43 years ago.
We currently have 27 members: two certified first responders, 12 EMTs, two paramedics, one critical care technician and 10 motor vehicle operators. Sounds like a lot, but numbers don't tell the whole story.
In 2013 the corps answered 160 calls, volunteered 1,570 man-hours, traveled over 13,397 miles and spent well over 1,000 man-hours in training. That does not include the time spent on administrative duties, equipment and vehicle maintenance, community events, etc.
It is a real challenge to schedule enough volunteers to cover the 168 hours in each week. If you are interested in joining give us a call at 548-5911.
Every penny of our operating expenses is raised by donations; no local tax money is involved. A sincere thank you to all who assist us. When you help us with your tax-deductible contributions you are truly helping everyone in your community.
All our members are volunteers; we have no payroll and SVAC has never sent a bill for services. Donations can be sent to Speculator Volunteer Ambulance Corps, POB 282, Speculator NY 12164.
A FEW FACTS
Here are some facts about us you may not know.
• We cover the Town of Lake Pleasant and the Village of Speculator, and provide mutual aid as requested and as available.
• The year-round population in our service area is about 1,000; the summer daily population is reliably estimated at about 11,000.
• Our primary operating territory covers about 52 square miles.
• We have three state campgrounds, three children's camps and one large family resort in our territory.
• About 45 percent of our calls are trauma-related and 55 percent are medical problems.