By PETE KLEIN
Express News Staff
INDIAN LAKE - A large crowd converged on Indian Lake's Byron Park pavilion Friday evening, Aug. 30, and it wasn't long before the 10th Mountain Division Band won over the hearts and minds of Indian Lakers and visitors alike.
Led by Chief Warrant Officer Daniel Wood and First Sergeant Christopher Rozmarin, the band was professional, precise and smartly dressed as they performed marching, orchestral, military and even some country and rock and roll pieces familiar to many.
Saluting past and present servicemen and women, the band played the Army's "The Caisson Song," the Navy's "Anchors Aweigh," "The Marines' Hymn" (better known as From the Halls of Montezuma), the Air Force's "Off We Go into the Wild Blue Yonder" and the Coast Guard's song "Semper Paradus."
As the song for each branch of the military was played those who served in each were invited to stand and be recognized with loud applause.
Of course there was room for John Philip Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever," which likely had many secretly singing in their head: "Be kind to your web footed friends..."
Staff Sgt. Linda Wolfe, the songstress of the night, got many to get up and dance with her while she sung such hits as "Proud Mary," "Tooty Fruity" and "Respect."
The truly great end-of-the-season performance was sponsored by American Legion Parker-Benton Post 1392 and the Town of Indian Lake.
The 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) Band was originally constituted in the Army of the United States as the 505th Coast Artillery Band April 13, 1942 and activated June 20, 1942 at Camp Edwards, Mass. It was later reorganized and re-designated as the Army Ground Forces Band June 27, 1944, relocating to Italy only to be inactivated the following year, Sept. 25 1945.
The band would be re-designated two more times. First, as the 232nd Army Band May 17, 1947 and then as the 10th Infantry Division Band June 18, 1948. This unit was allotted to the Regular Army June 25, 1948 and activated July 1 of the same year at Fort Riley, Kan.
The band would be relocated yet again, this time to Fort Benning, Ga. where it was later inactivated June 14, 1958. Another period of re-designation took place Nov. 3, 1987 when the band received its current name as the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry) Band and relocated to Fort Drum.
Like the band on Facebook at www.facebook.com/10thMtnDivBand