The only egress to this area was from this road, as it was bounded by privately-owned lands. During the 1962 hunting season hunters enjoyed the newly acquired state land at Nick’s Lake near Old Forge, which proved to be excellent hunting.
The Visitors Information Center at Old Forge had compiled a new hunting and fishing map of the Central Adirondack area which clearly defined the areas that could be used by sportsmen without trespassing on private or posted lands.
The detailed map also showed the state-owned campsites that would remain open for hunting season. The map would be mailed free of charge by writing to Old Forge.
The Adirondack Mountains of northeastern New York encompass 12,500 square miles of beautiful but rugged terrain. Nearly half of this vast vacationland is owned by NYS, set aside nearly 80 years ago to be “forever wild” and protected by the state Constitution.
The term “wilderness” is a misnomer in many respects because the region is crisscrossed by roads and rivers, lakes and streams providing access to fishing and hunting, boating, and mountain climbing.
Samuel de Champlain discovered the lake that bears his name in 1609 while in the same year Henry Hudson was exploring the Hudson River from the south. History buffs follow the same path as the explorers and could still find buttons and bows from bygone days around the old forts at Crown Point and below the walls of Fort Ticonderoga.
Museums and libraries welcome visitors and cater to all tastes in literature with their preserved collections of Adirondack lore. The Adirondack 46ers is a club with hundreds of members who have climbed all 46 peaks of over 4,000 feet.
At HAMILTON COUNTY, County Clerk Earl C. Farber had announced the sale of Conservation Department licenses in Hamilton County for the month of September as follows: Resident - 2 Hunt and Fish; 60 Fish; 6 Free Fish; Non-Resident - 14 Fish; 86 6-Day Fish.
At INDIAN LAKE, George S. Forslund, aviation machinist’s mate airman apprentice, U.S. Navy, son of Mrs. Edna M. Forsland, Indian Lake, had reported for duty with Airborne Early Warning Squadron 13 at Argentia, Newfoundland. Naval Airborne Early Warning Squadron patrolled the North Atlantic seaward extension of the Continental Distant Early Warning (DEW) Line.
For more than five years they had kept constant watch over a wide area of the North Atlantic, ready to give instant warning of any attack to the North Atlantic continent or to member nations of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO).
At INLET, the Rt. Rev. Monsignor Robert A. Farmer, pastor of St. Bartholomew’s Roman Catholic Church in Old Forge, announced the coming of a parish mission. The mission would begin Nov. 3 and continue until the following Saturday each evening at the same time.
Father Henry Noyes of the Paulist Fathers would preach at the Mission. Father Noyes was no stranger to the Old Forge area. In 1959 he gave a day of recollection at St. Bartholomew’s. He was also an enthusiastic fisherman and had visited the Central Adirondacks many times in pursuit of trout.
Father Noyes had been conducting retreats and preaching missions for the past six years as a member of books for the Catholic World and was an enthusiastic participant in inter-faith activities. A mission is a retreat for an entire parish.
It is a chance to come aside into a quiet place and refresh one’s soul with Christ. A special feature of the mission would be the Question Box. Each evening, before the principal sermon, Father Noyes would answer any questions on Catholic teaching and practice that had been placed in the Question Box.
A mission could be an adventure in neighborly understanding for persons of many faiths. Monsignor Farmer extended a prayerful invitation to all.
The following were recent donations to the Inlet Ambulance Fund: in memory of Herbert Westcott: Mr. and Mrs. Charles Strong, Mr. and Mrs. Ralph Murdock, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Landers, Mr. and Mrs. James Bird, Mr. and Mrs. Pierce Kopp, Mr. and Mrs. Harry Fowler, Mr. and Mrs. Howard Welman, Mr. and Mrs. James Abusia, Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Dodd, Mr. and Mrs. Donald Hodel, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Babcock, Mr. and Mrs. C. Nelson, Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Kopp, Tony Harper, Edith Kopp, Jerry Morgan, J. Garvey and D. Burns.
Sarah Clark Osborne, 89, died Oct. 8, 1963, in a Utica Nursing Home, having been in ill health for some time. Mrs. Osborne was born April 25, 1874 in Carthage, the daughter of John W. and Elizabeth Johnson Clark.
On June 6, 1900 she married to Henry Osborne of Clinton and lived in the village for 45 years. For the past 17 years she had resided with her son, Clark, in Old Forge.
During World War I she was one of the founders of the Oneida County Home Bureau. She taught Sunday School in Stone Presbyterian Church, Clinton, for 35 years. She was president of the Ladies Auxiliary of Niccolls Memorial Church in Old Forge for a number of years.
She was survived by a brother, John Clark, Storrs, Conn.; two sons, Clark P. of Old Forge and Durant of Los Angeles, Calif.; three granddaughters, two grandsons; and two great-grandchildren. Funeral services would be held in Stone Presbyterian Church, Clinton, with burial in Clinton Cemetery.
At LAKE PLEASANT, friends and relatives of Mr. and Mrs. James Burr Call were invited to an Open House at Melody Lodge, Speculator, in honor of the Call’s 50th wedding anniversary.
At RAQUETTE LAKE, Army PFC Robert P. Aldous, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Aldous, Raquette Lake, received a safe driver award Sept. 21 for driving 8,000 miles without an accident or traffic violation while assigned to the 38th Transportation Battalion’s 7th Company in Germany.
Aldous, a truck driver in the company near Aschaffenburg, arrived overseas in April 1962. The 22-year-old soldier attended Indian Lake Central High School.