Long-time residents of the Old Forge-Inlet area could not recall a season on record that saw such a large influx of the red-clad nimrods begin as early as Friday. The string of cars and trailers continued through Saturday and all night Saturday until the invasion consisted of one car after the other, nearly bumper to bumper.
An unofficial check of the Limekiln area showed nearly 1,200 hunters in that area Sunday. Of the 1,200 in the Moose River Plains, 500 went through the main gate and the others went in at other locations.
On Sunday, 14 deer were brought out from the Plains section and through the Limekiln gate. Game protectors cruising the area accounted for 26 violations, a majority of them being against hunters who were carrying loaded guns in their car.
A state ruling required drivers to have either four-wheel drive on their vehicles or a set of chains. So huge was the demand for car chains by Saturday night that all garages and service stations were sold out early in the day. To aid the disappointed hunters several businessmen got together and ordered a truckload of car chains, which were brought in at once.
The communities of the Central Adirondacks were a beehive of activity Saturday and Sunday. Restaurants, which had opened as early as five o'clock Sunday morning, had waiting lines at most of them. Rooms in some sections were all sold out, and many of the hunters ended up sleeping in their cars or in hastily pitched tents.
In evidence were a large number of travel trailers which enabled parties to spend their weekends in the camp and get out the first thing in the morning to look for their deer.
The reason for the record influx was believed to be the fact that the big game season had been closed in most adjoining counties. The weather was also ideal for the hunters.
At ARIETTA, Richard A. Gosson, Piseco, had been named a crew leader for the 1964 Census of Agriculture. He was one of about 1,825 persons throughout the United States to receive this appointment. Mr. Gosson would supervise a team of census enumerators who would visit all farms and ranches in Hamilton County to gather official census questionnaires from farm operators. Enumeration of all farms in the county would take place in November and early December.
The crew leader was a key person in conducting a Census of Agriculture. He recruited and trained enumerators, scheduled their work, reviewed the accuracy of completed forms and conducted difficult interviews.
At INLET, Mende Shulman, Inlet, was chosen at a special meeting of the Webb Town Board and the directors of the Central Adirondack Association to fill the vacancy of director of publicity for their organizations. He would succeed J.P. (Pitt) Smith, who resigned in September.
Mr. Shulman graduated from Hamilton College in 1947. He was a navigator in the U.S. Air Force in World War II and flew missions in the South Pacific.
In 1936 Shulman came to the Adirondacks with his parents, who bought Gaiety Theatre in Inlet. After his parents' deaths in 1948 and 1950 he took over the theatre. He had resided in the mountains since then. He was an English teacher in the Town of Webb High School for one year.
Mr. Shulman was an assessor in Inlet. When interviewed he was quoted as saying, "I've loved the Adirondacks since I was old enough to appreciate its grandeur, splendor and its potentiality as a resort area." He would assume his duties Nov. 1.
On Oct. 8, 1964, the members of St. Anthony's Altar Society held their annual Officer's Banquet at the Albedor. The following officers were elected for 1964-65: President Beulah Heroux, Vice President Janet Burwell, Secretary Margaret Hodel, Treasurer Mary Evans and Corresponding Secretary Doris Marleau.
Each member agreed to donate a book of S&H green stamps toward the purchase of an electric roaster for St. Anthony's Community Hall. Margaret Chambers was chairman of this project.
A wide selection of Christmas and all-occasion ribbon would be sold again this year. Orders could be placed with any of the following ladies: Francis Payne, Mary Evans, Mary Willis, Margaret Hodel and Doris Marleau.
Roy W. Rogers, 82, proprietor of the Neodak Resort Hotel on Fourth Lake, Inlet, one of the last surviving witnesses in the famous Chester Gillette murder trial, died Sunday, Oct. 26, 1964 in New Jersey. He was a native of Port Leyden.
He married Emma Fairchild in 1903. She died in 1961. They came to the Adirondacks shortly after their marriage.
Mr. Rogers served as an Adirondack guide for several years. Later he was associated with Cedar Island and Eagle Bay hotels before taking over management of the Neodak in 1919. At the time of the murder of Grace Brown of Cortland in 1906, Mr. Rogers was in charge of the boat livery at the Neodak, then operated by his father. During Gillette's trail in Herkimer it was brought out that on the day before the murder Gillette hired a canoe from Rogers to cross Fourth Lake toward Big Moose.
Mr. Rogers was a former superintendent of highways for the Town of Inlet and served several years as a trustee of the Inlet school. He was a past president and charter member of Inlet Volunteer Hose Co. and the Adirondack Guides' Association.
He was a director of Niagara Mohawk Corporation and a former town councilman, a member of the Church of the Lakes, and a 50-year member of Northwoods Lodge, Free & Accepted Masons.
He left a son, John Rogers, Summit, N.J.; a daughter, Mrs. Ella Moran, Ridgewood, N.J.; a brother, Harry Rogers, North Miami Beach, Fla.; and a sister, Mrs. Harry Graves, Greig. Another daughter, Mrs. Beatrice Terwilliger, had died in 1963 in Amsterdam.
The funeral was held from the Eldridge-Autenrith Funeral Home, Old Forge, with the Rev. Livingston Bentley, pastor of the Church of the Lake, officiating. Burial was in Turin Cemetery.