State Comptroller Arthur Levitt had announced the distribution of monies representing supplemental advances for July, August and September to the 65 public welfare districts in the state. These monies represented the federal and state shares of anticipated welfare expenditures by the localities. Hamilton County received $2,995.
Northern New York’s sometimes-bothersome bear population was reduced by 127 during the state’s first experimental Early Bear Season, which ran in several Adiron-dack counties. The special 10-day bonus was “quite successful” in terms of reducing the nuisance problems caused by hungry bruins searching for food in populated areas.
A total of 7,369 permits were issued for the special bonus hunt, and all but 15 percent of the permit holders took advantage of the warm weather season. Conservation Department game specialists reported about one bear was killed for every 50 hunters in the field.
This compared with a success ratio of approximately one for every 300 hunters during the regular Big Game Season. Hamilton County kept a firm grip on its title of “best bear area in the Adirondacks” with 53 black bears reported killed during the special season.
At HAMILTON COUNTY, automobile owners in New York state no longer would have to figure out how to fold their registration certificates to fit into their wallets. The certificate, as well as the number plate, had a new look for 1964.
It matched the size of the card drivers’ licenses that had made their debut two years earlier. There was one new space to be filled in, however. The driver had to enter the name of his or her insurance company and the number of the policy.
The Department of Motor Vehicles had cut the number of types of registration certificates for 1963 from 14 to six. The general sale of registrations and plates began Dec. 2, and owners could mail their applications to the nearest motor vehicle issuing office.
The new look in the number plates was a legend, “NY World’s Fair,” across the bottom and a border around the edges. Letters and numbers were in orange, as was the border, on a black background.
All Hamilton County offices were closed Monday, Nov. 25, out of respect for President John Fitzgerald Kennedy, by order of Chairman of the Board of Supervisors Arthur Parker.
Mrs. Lila Tefft, Speculator, and Mrs. Preston Simons, Wells, were recently appointed by Dr. Paul Hock, New York State Commissioner of Mental Hygiene, to represent Hamilton County on the Syracuse Regional Mental Health Planning Committee. Mrs. Tefft was executive director of the Hamilton County Health Association and Beatrice Simons was the public health nurse.
The committee, with nine other regional planning committees, was charged with planning for comprehensive mental health services both regionally and statewide. President Kennedy had recently signed into law a measure making federal funds available for this purpose.
The mental health program would provide for control of many mental disorders, including mental illness, mental retardation and behavior and emotional problems. It was hoped the Planning Committee would be able to delineate roles for education, welfare, rehabilitation, general practitioners and other local resources in the community.
At INLET, A. Augusta Low, 74, former president of the Utica Gas and Electric Co., died Sunday, Nov. 24, in his home in New York City. Mr. Low left Utica in 1936 to become executive vice president of the old Brooklyn Edison Co. in New York. He later was named vice president in charge of labor relations for the Consolidated Edison Co., New York. He retired in 1954.
Mr. Low came from an old Brooklyn family. His paternal grandfather, Abiel Abbot Low, was the owner of a line of clipper ships plying between New York and China during the middle of the 19th century.
Mr. Low’s uncle, Seth Low, was mayor of Brooklyn for two years and later president of Columbia College and mayor of Greater New York, for a term starting in 1901. Seth Low College in Brooklyn, which was part of Columbia University, bore his name.
Mr. Low, son of Mr. and Mrs. Abbot Augustus Low, was born in Saratoga Springs and graduated Groton School in 1907 and Yale in 1911. Shortly after the outbreak of World War II he joined the Army and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the aviation section.
Mr. Low was in the lumber business in the Adirondacks for several years. In 1928 he organized and became president of the Old Forge Electric Corp. He was also vice president of the Northern New York Utilities Inc., president of the Kanata Realty Co. Inc., president and treasurer of the Bog River Corp. and a director of the Raquette River Power Co.
He was director of the Adirondack Arrow newspaper and Empire State Forestry Association, a member of the Hamilton County Park Commission and welfare committee of Hamilton County. In addition, he was owner of the Horse Shoe Forestry Co. and for many years chairman of the Hamilton County Republican Committee.
In 1923 he married Vahdas Gara Smith, whose ancestors were prominent in the early history of Yale University. Besides his wife, he left a daughter, Mrs. Juan deLara; two brothers, George Low of Santa Barbara, Calf., and Seth Low of Portland, Maine, and a sister, Mrs. William Raymond. Private funeral services were held.
At OLD FORGE in Herkimer County, the annual Old Forge Winter Carnival would be held Jan. 24-26. At a recent meeting of the Polar Bear Ski Club it was voted to choose the queen for the event in the style that was used in 1962. All the ski clubs in Central New York were contacted and invited to enter a contestant in the Queen’s Contest.
The judges, sports announcers and writers and people connected with the skiing world chose from photographs and dossiers of each girl. The final judging took place at a luncheon at which the finalist was present.
Last year’s winner was Miss Chris Gladis of Rochester. Mr. Pitt Smith, chairman of the Queen’ Contest, had started contacting the judges and ski clubs to ensure their cooperation.
The Polar Bear Ski Club had announced plans for publication of a winter events book.