Task Force members are developing a reference directory of local workers willing to provide the following services for area senior citizens:
• shopping and running errands;
• carpentry and/or painting or miscellaneous repairs;
• mowing lawns;
• raking and other yard work such as weeding and gardening;
• troubleshooting minor electronics;
• domestic chores such as hanging curtains, carpet-cleaning and changing light bulbs;
• gutter cleaning;
• sewing, mending, hemming etc.;
• snow shoveling / blowing; and
• washing windows and changing storms and screens.
Once the Task Force has compiled a list of people interested in performing these services it will publicize the availability of workers for seniors in its communities.
If a senior needs someone for a particular service he or she can contact the Task Force and a representative will consult the Worker Directory. The Task Force representative will provide several names and phone numbers of persons who have indicated their willingness to perform this work.
The senior will contact the handyman / woman and work out details directly. The senior and the worker he or she has chosen to hire will make all financial arrangements.
Readers with questions or who are interested in participating in this program either as a handyman / woman or as a senior needing someone to perform some services should call the Task Force answering service in Northville Village Hall at 863-4040 ext. 42. A Task Force representative will return each call within a few days.