Advertisement
Search Sponsored by:
Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Speculator, NY ,
Advertisement

The way things were by Anne Weaver

Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - Updated: 8:28 AM

ABOUT THE WEEK OF JAN. 2, 1964, drivers were asking what to do with the blank space on the front of their vehicles where ordinarily the second plate would go when they attached their new 1964 New York state number plate to the rear of their cars. The NYS Department of Motor Vehicles recommended it be left blank.

DMV Commissioner William S. Hults said any device that resembled a registration plate could be declared illegal by a court, and the driver would then be charged with a violation. Because the state was issuing only one plate for 1964, a number of gadget manufacturers were selling novelty plates for use on the fronts of cars.

Other motorists, who obtained the same registration number each year, had inquired about leaving their 1963 plate on the front, since the number would be the same as on the 1964 rear plate. This practice was clearly illegal, the commissioner pointed out.

Events ranging from ski jumps to flower shows were listed in the winter edition of the New York State Events Calendar issued by the New York State Department of Commerce. Also included were concerts, plays, art shows, ski competitions, hockey tournaments, exhibitions and winter carnivals. The calendar covered December through April.

The State of New York — The Empire State — chose the rose as the State Flower. The Blue Bird unofficially was regarded as New York’s choice for state bird, while the sugar maple was selected by school children in 1889 as the state tree. The Legislature in 1956 made the selection official.

At HAMILTON COUNTY, all members were present at the Organizational Meeting of the Hamilton County Board of Supervisors held in the county courthouse. William E. Baker, Arietta, acted as temporary chairman.

Arthur Parker, Long Lake, was re-elected chairman. He was escorted to the chair by Charles Wickes, Lake Pleasant, and John Burgess, Indian Lake. Chairman Parker welcomed Burgess, the only new member. He succeeded Ernest Hutchins, who did not stand for re-election.

Charles Farr, Long Lake, was re-elected clerk. Charles S. Tracy was re-appointed county attorney. Money from dog licenses was returned to the towns as follows: Arietta, $114.75; Benson, $57; Hope, $66.74; Indian Lake, $388.50; Inlet, $69; Lake Pleasant, $242.25; Long Lake, $76.50; Morehouse, $32.25; Wells, $159.

The contract for printing the proceedings was awarded to the lowest bidder, Coia Printing Co., Rome, likewise the fuel oil contract to Stew-Oil Service, Wells. County Judge James D. Curry and County Attorney Charles S. Tracy were authorized to attend meetings of the New York State Bar Association.

The appointments of Donald Wadsworth, Hope, and Carlo Di Mezza, Benson, to the Public Health Committee were approved. Earl C. Farber was appointed to the Conservation Council.

Earl C. Farber, Morehouse, was recently elected chairman of the Hamilton County Republican Committee. He succeeded A. Augustus Low, deceased. Charles Bird, Raquette Lake, remained as vice chairman.

County Clerk Farber had announced the sale of Conservation Department licenses in Hamilton County for November as follows: Resident — 88 Hunt and Fish; 70 Hunt; 5 Fish; 20 Trap; 673 Big Game; 3 Archery; 2 Free Fish; Non-Resident — 191 Hunt; 4 Fish; 1 Trap; 185 Big Game; 2 LLC.

The state Conservation Department had revealed that it had purchased some 53,000 acres of forestland in northern Herkimer County and western Hamilton County from the Gould Paper Co. of Lyons Falls for $872,690. A Conservation Department spokesman described the purchase as the largest single acquisition made by the state since it acquired the Adirondack Forest Preserve.

The spokesman also reported that Treasure Island, a 1.5-acre piece of land in the Fulton Chain of Lakes, between First and Second lakes, had been purchased for $38,000. About three-quarters of the lands acquired are in Hamilton County and the remainder in the Town of Ohio and the Town of Webb in Herkimer County.

The Gould Paper Co. reserved the right to continue lumbering the land it had sold until July 1, 1966. People could walk into the areas but not drive in. The purchase was made for future recreational development, but it had not been determined what form this development would take.

The money used was part of the $75 million bond issue that was approved by the voters in 1959. A 50,500-acre segment of the latest purchase is known as the Moose River tract and is bounded on the north by the Moose River, on the east by Rt. 28, on the west by Nick’s Lake and on the south by Forest Preserve land.

The balance of the land, more than 2,000 acres, lies between Mckeever and Old Forge.

At INLET, Lynn A. Phillips, 59, of Lubbock, Texas, a former area educator and resident of Oriskany, died Dec. 27 in West Texas Hospital, Lubbock. For the past 10 years Mr. Phillips had been on the faculty of Texas Tech.

He was born in Oriskany, was graduated from Oriskany High School and took a post-graduate course at Utica Free Academy. He received his B.S. degree from Hamilton College in 1927 after which he did graduate work in several universities.

Mr. Phillips received his master’s degree from Northwestern University in 1936 in the field of administration and supervision. During 1939-40 Mr. Phillips completed his final year of residence and course requirements for the doctor of education degree at Syracuse University.

He served as head of the science department in Lowville Academy and the Town of Webb High School and as principal in South Fallsburg High School. In 1940 he was named dean of Cazenovia Seminary Junior College, and also served as its chemistry instructor.

For several years, Mr. Phillips returned to Old Forge area and was employed summers at Folcets North Woods Inn on 4th Lake. Before transferring to the Texas college in 1953, Mr. Phillips was a mission’s counselor for Stevens College, Columbia, Mo., for more than 12 years.

He was a member of Theta Chi, Phi Delta Kappa, the Oriskany Masons, Mohawk Valley Consistory and Ziyara Temple. He also was a member of Waterbury Memorial Presbyterian Church, Oriskany, and a former superintendent of its Sunday School.

Mr. Phillips married Alice Beckett of Cheney, Kan. in 1946. Besides his wife, he left a sister, Mrs. Laura I. Crandall, Whitesboro. Funeral was from the Dimbleby Funeral Home, Whitesboro, with the Rev. John W. Currie, Waterbury Presbyterian Church, pastor, officiating. Burial was in Oriskany Cemetery.

     

Comments made about this article - 0 Total

Advertisement
Advertisement

Copyright © Port Jackson Media, LLC.

Privacy Policies: Hamilton County Express

Contact Us